President Joe Biden says we have removed ISIS leader Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Quraishi from the battlefield
President Joe Biden said Thursday that US forces in Syria have “removed” the leader of the Islamic State group (ISIS) from the battlefield. “Under my direction last night, US military forces in northwestern Syria successfully conducted counterterrorism operations to protect the American people and our allies and to make the world a safer place,” Biden said in a statement.
Biden continued, “Thanks to the skill and courage of our armed forces, we have removed ISIS leader Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Quraishi from the battlefield. All Americans have returned safely after the operation.”
Biden was due to make an official statement on Thursday morning about the operation. A senior US administration official said al-Qureshi had been killed in an operation.
Galvan Valley clashes: At least 42 Chinese soldiers were killed, not 4, during the Galvan clashes, Australian newspaper reports claim.
“At the beginning of the operation, the terrorist target detonated a bomb, killing the woman and children between him and his own family members,” the official said.
Following the assassination of Islamic State founder Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi in October 2019, ISIS targeted his successor, al-Quraishi, an Iraqi who was once in US custody.
“While we are still evaluating the outcome of this operation, it appears to be the same cowardly terrorist tactic that we saw in the 2019 operation that eliminated al-Baghdadi,” the official said.